Big Data engineering has become a popular job in recent years. Many people have been able to build successful careers in this relatively new field. Big Data engineering is worth considering if you are a student looking to get into the tech industry and are on the lookout for high-paying jobs.
If you are wondering what degree to pursue to become a Big Data Engineer, then consider a BCA course (Bachelor in Computer Application). A BCA program is a three-year undergraduate course that offers in-depth knowledge of computer programming and information technology — a perfect fit for anyone with interest in numbers, data and technology.
The actor and producer Josh Duhamel has a net worth of millions of dollars.
Big Data Engineering: An Overview
In simple terms, a Big Data engineer works with companies to test, maintain, develop and evaluate their data. It’s common for companies today to collect large amounts of data during their business operations. To properly optimise and use the data they’ve collected, companies look to hire Big Data engineers. They’re used to make all the collected data usable, which will in turn, help companies become more efficient and profitable.
Additionally, Big Data engineers are expected to be up-to-date with the top new technology trends. This allows them to stay ahead of the curve and effectively help companies discover new trends to scale their businesses.
Some of the top tech companies in India that are currently looking to hire Big Data engineers are TCS, Infosys, IBM, Accenture, Tech Mahindra and Wipro, to name a few. You will also be happy to note that the companies mentioned here also offer attractive salary packages for Big Data engineers.
The Average Salary Of A Big Data Engineer In India
The average Big Data Engineer salary in India (according to Glassdoor) is ₹8,20,000 per annum, with more than 4000 jobs available in the field.
Here are some city-wise estimates for those interested.
|City||Average Salary Per Annum||Number Of Job Openings|
As you can see, the average salary of a Big Data Engineer in India is significant despite slight variations in relation to different cities.
What Skills Do You Need To Become A Big Data Engineer
A BCA degree in Big Data will help you learn the necessary skills and be up-to-date with top new technology trends in the IT sector today. The IT industry, in particular, is expected to create more jobs in the coming years, and Big Data engineering is one of the fastest-growing jobs in the market today.
2. Database Architecture Tools: Databases are essential to Big Data engineers. It’s important for anyone wanting to become a Big Data engineer to understand database design and architecture. Along with being familiar with DBMS (Database Management Systems) and SQL. Some common DBMS used are MySQL, Oracle and Microsoft SQL servers.
3. Data Warehousing: One primary responsibility in this field will be to carry out ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) operations. To carry out these operations, you will also need to know how to construct and use data warehouses.
4. Operating Systems: As a Big Data engineer, you will also be working with various operating systems. Some common operating systems you need to be familiar with are Linux, Unix, Windows and Solaris.
5. Hadoop Tools and Frameworks: Hadoop is one of the most commonly used frameworks in Data engineering. It’s used to store data in a distributed manner, making it easier for Big Data engineers to process data. So some common programs you need to familiarise yourself with are HDFS, MapReduce, Apache Pig, Hive & Apache HBase.
6. Real-Time Processing Frameworks: Big Data engineers deal with massive amounts of data. Real-time processing frameworks like Apache Spark are commonly used to streamline this process and make it more manageable.
7. Data Mining and Modelling: Data mining and data wrangling involve preprocessing and cleaning data so Big Data engineers can gain valuable insights and find new trends. The tools used here are Python R, Rapid Miner, Weka, and KNIME.
While you pursue your BCA degree in Big Data, you should also learn complementary skills. Join Sunstone, an education service provider that will help you enhance your skillset and become incredibly versatile. This will help you crack better job offers and get a handsome salary package as a Big Data engineer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Do Big Data engineers get paid well?
A Big Data engineer’s salary can range anywhere between ₹466,265 to ₹1,264,555 per year. The exact number will vary according to your location, skills and experience. So, yes, they do get paid well. On average, a Big Data engineer’s salary is on the higher end.
Are Big Data engineers in demand?
Generally speaking, the demand for Big Data engineers has been on the rise. This rise can be attributed to changing times and how companies and businesses today use data to improve their businesses. To do that, they need Big Data Engineers on their team.
Is Big Data Engineer a good career?
Yes, it’s a great career to get into. The demand for Big Data engineers is only expected to go up in the future. Owing to rapid technological advances, more companies need people with expertise and skills in handling large amounts of data, i.e, Big Data engineers.