” A teacher is a compass that activates magnets of curiosity, knowledge, and wisdom.” – Ever Garrison.
Teachers play a very important role in the lives of learners. They act as a role model for the students helping them to reach and achieve their goals. Teaching is a profession that helps in framing and achieving other professions. Therefore we say the development and growth of children and the country are in the hands of our teachers or instructors. Teaching is a great profession to pursue. Having the right knowledge about this stream will help you to choose the right path for you.
Responsibilities and duties of a school teacher.
- Supervising and conducting proper classes for the students.
- Keeping a record of student performance.
- Ensuring discipline and decorum in the classroom
- Understanding the needs and emotions of the students.
- Interacting with the parents for proper discussions.
- Imparting efficient knowledge and education to the students
- Maintaining healthy bonds and interaction with the students.
Looking at the responsibilities and duties of a teacher, the interesting aspirants have to keep some important points in mind. Let us discuss the main key points one by one.
1. Think and find: who and why to teach
Goal setting is very important before choosing a career opportunity for you. To carry the teaching profession, being a passionate teacher is very important. If a candidate enjoys a particular subject or overall learning, you can make this decision. He or she should understand the duties and responsibilities of being an effective teacher. Other than this, enjoying the company of other teachers and being comfortable being around students is also necessary.
After this think, about which age group of students you want to teach. Select among the Primary, pre-primary, secondary, and senior secondary classes.
Let us discuss the qualifications required to become a teacher. It has different criteria for different classes.
- For primary and pre-primary teaching you can pursue a diploma or a short course after completing your twelfth standard of schooling. The courses which you can go for are an elementary teacher education course ( ETE), nursery teacher training ( NTT). The period of these courses is one to two years maximum. There are several institutions available where you can take admissions for completing these courses.
- A secondary school teacher teaches the classes from sixth to tenth. Here you need some more enhanced qualifications. These teachers are also known as trained graduate teachers ( TGTs ). To enter this profession, you need to have a degree in Bachelor’s education ( B.Ed ). Other than this graduation in any subject of your choice is also required such as bachelors in English, Hindi, mathematics, political science, or any other teaching subject.
- For senior secondary teaching along with a bachelor of education, post-graduation in any teaching subject of your choice is also required. As a senior secondary teacher, you will teach the classes eleventh and twelfth. Detailed knowledge of the subjects is imparted to the students.
For online teaching platforms of schools, the same qualifications are required to teach the students. To teach online, you can use your creative and innovative aids to make teaching fun and enthusiastic for the students.
3. Entrance or competitive exams of teaching.
- CTET – It stands for central teacher eligibility test. It is a test conducted for teaching aspirants by the central board of secondary education. After clearing this exam, you become eligible to teach in the central government schools. This exam is organized for the recruitment process of primary and secondary teaching. You can also apply for the private schools that consider CTET marks for employing teachers.
- STET – It stands for state-level eligibility tests for teachers. Different states conduct their teacher eligibility tests. After clearing this exam, you can apply for teaching jobs at state government schools. A state can also consider CTET scores if the state-level eligibility test of that place is not conducted. There are also exams like REET.
For clearing these exams, proper preparation, and dedication towards studies are required. You can join the centers which help in the preparation for these competitive exams. Along with this higher education, you can do your other work by learning via online teaching platforms.
4. Job opportunities
- Option of self-employment
You can start your own business and centers for providing education to students.
- You can give online tuition to interested students. You can teach online, the subjects you know efficiently. Several people are earning good with the help of an online teaching platform.
- You can apply for jobs in private and government schools and other educational institutes. There are approximately ninety thousand schools in India that provide numerous teaching vacancies for applicants.
This guidance and points tell us about the main requirements for becoming a teacher. It’s a great profession to choose. Be consistent and dedicated with your studies. Research well before making the decisions. Right choices will help you in achieving and accomplishing your goals and objectives.